Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Not All Bacon Donuts Are Created Equal

I got excited when I heard that Granny's Donuts in San Pedro, California have been making bacon donuts.  If you haven't had bacon donuts, I suggest you try them.

To my surprise, I found that they make 2 kinds: maple bacon donut and chocolate bacon.  I could hardly contain my excitement.  They looked different from the one I was accustomed to from Cafe Dulce in Little Tokyo, downtown Los Angeles. They have a ton of chopped bacon on top as oppose to strips.



As soon as I got home I tried both.  The chocolate was too sweet; the maple was o.k. ; the bacon overpowered the donut as you get a big chunk with some bites and none at all with the other bites.  I also thought that the donut itself was heavy.  What they did here was just put  2 strips of bacon on a maple and chocolate donut.

I also bought an apple fritter as I haven't found  a good one to this day.  Most of them are too greasy or too sweet or both. This one was too sweet.



For serious bacon donut lovers: Cafe Dulce is still number one and is worth the drive to downtown L.A.  Plan to be there at 11:00 a.m. when it comes out of   the oven or wherever it comes out of......nothing comes close! Light and fluffy with the right amount of quality bacon.  (See previous blog on Cafe Dulce)
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2012/05/bacon-donuts.html

James...you're still the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment