Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Triton Restaurant in Prague

This restaurant was one I specifically wanted to treat Alma and Raymond because of the ambiance and the food. The history of Burgher's house in Wenceslas Square in Prague where Triton is currently located dates back in the late 14th century. See interesting facts on this stalactite cave.  http://www.tritonrestaurant.com/restaurant-prague-triton-wenceslas-square/history.phtml


The entrance of the restaurant is from the bar of the hotel which is unassuming. In fact, I had my doubts when we first got there. We were then led to a winding marble staircase towards a basement. We stopped by a glass door and we were immediately in awe of  how beautiful the dining room looked.  Our reservation was for an hour later but since it was early, we had no problems. Before our meal, we ordered Kir Royale and sampled their local Pinot Noir.


They had a  5 course tasting menu which was very reasonable in addition to the a la carte. Raymond ordered an Asparagus Salad with avocado, melon and Greek yogurt to start. Alma didn't have anything to start. My first course was Prague Ham with traditional condiments. Before our starters, they gave us a slice of a Chicken Breast which may have been smoked with a nice dressing on the side.


Raymond's Asparagus Soup came and so did my Beef Broth with meat and vegetables. I loved my soup. The meat was very tender and it had slivers of different kinds of vegetables. Alma's main entree arrived; Old Style Beef Shank Goulash with white bread dumplings. My third dish was a Traditional  Beef Sirloin in cream sauce with cranberries and Carlsbad dumplings. Both the meat dishes were delicious. Alma and I did not care for the dumplings. I think it would have been 100% better with potatoes, rice or even spaetzle. Thank God for Alma's side dish she ordered; French Fries! 


Along came Raymond's main entree and my fourth dish which was 1/4 Roast Duck with red wine cabbage and potato dumplings. The duck was crispy outside and tender inside. It was delicious. Again, the dumplings were a disappointment only because they are absolutely tasteless; of course it gets a bit better when you sweep in against the sauce.


I didn't have a choice for my dessert. It was an Apple Strudel with sour cream and chocolate sauce. It was o.k., I have had a lot better strudels. Alma ordered the Crepe Suzette flambeed at the table. Raymond had the Fried Apricots. The apricots were a bit sour but Raymond managed to finish one ball! Alma thought her crepes had too much alcohol so we ended up switching desserts which was fine with me since I LOVE crepe Suzette.


If you ever visit the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic, Triton is not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment