Sunday, April 17, 2016

le Relais de l' Entrecote

People who are familiar with this restaurant in Paris have long awaited an opening of a branch here in Los Angeles. The restaurant serves only a salad, bread, steak with an incredible sauce and the best fries you can imagine. See previous blog on the Paris location.  http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2015/01/l-entrecote.html

You can only imagine the excitement when we heard one open on 8755 Melrose Ave. in West Los Angeles. Sandi and I tried to go to a movie today in Santa Monica but when we got to the theater we thought our movie was showing, the box office was not open yet. It turned out it was the wrong theater so we just decided to go to lunch since it was not far away. We expected a line to get in as they don't take reservations. We had to park blocks away because there was John Varvados event going on so most of the parking on the streets were blocked. We finally got to the restaurant at 11:30 a.m. only to be told that they don't open till 12:30. We decided to just walk around. The air temperature was about 87 degrees; it was hot! We returned at around noon to sit outside the restaurant while it was still closed. They let us in exactly at 12:30. The place was inviting with bright colored table cloths and large French art work on the walls. We were the only ones at the restaurant.


Our young server from Iran was sweet as she asked if we were familiar with the restaurant. She asked us what we would like to drink and I ordered a glass of wine. I made a comment to Sandi about their wine glasses which were baby size. I was hoping they would at least fill the glass. To my delight, they did. The temperature of the wine was "warm". I had to put a small ice cube just to make it drinkable. the French bread was immediately served. I asked for butter to go with it. The bread was very good and the butter even better. Shortly after that, she bought out the salad with a mustard dressing. To our recollection, the salad was the same as the ones they serve in Paris.


We ordered our steak medium. It came in a small plate filled with fries. The fries were outstanding; again as good as the original. The steak was tender but the sauce was not quite the same. I thought the mustard was overpowering and I do like mustard but it was a bit too much. I asked Sandi what she thought because it could have been just me. Maybe, all it lacked was the Parisian air; I don't know. She did agree with me. It just didn't make my eyes roll back like it usually does when I eat at the restaurant in Paris. I did get my second serving of steak and lots of extra sauce which was good but I have had better.


We were not planning to have dessert till we saw the menu. They have the same ones they offer at the original restaurant. We decided on the Profiteroles. We remember how good they were. These profiteroles did not disappoint.


Would we go back....maybe, but not too soon. It cost $31 for the steak which includes fries, bread and salad. The warm wine I had was $11. I thought of the Beef Grenadine with Bearnaise sauce at Musso and Frank which I enjoyed more than this steak.

Le Relais de l'Entrecote is open every day. Check their hours because on the website, it shows that they open at 12 but they don't open till 12:30 till 2:30 p.m. and then it opens again for dinner at 6:30 p.m. Like the one in Paris, they do not take reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment