Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Birthday at Azure Mediterranean Grill

A bunch of friends got together last night to celebrate my birthday once more. After our Italian lessons, we headed over to Azure Mediterranean Restaurant in Redondo Beach. I have been there twice in the last month. I was the recipient of  the travelling Birthday Balloon which I will be passing on to the next birthday girl.


We started with the best appetizers. Aside from the hummus you normally get with your pita bread, I ordered the Feta Pomodoro. This is no ordinary dip. It is made with diced Roma tomatoes that are whipped into a creamy Feta cheese drizzled with olive oil with a dash of thyme. There is no yogurt in it, just the feta cheese. This is so good you could literally eat it with a spoon by itself. I also ordered their famous Fried Cauliflower which comes with a Tahini sauce and lemon. It is best with the lemon and some of the feta pomodoro.


We had the Azure Combo Family Style which consisted of Kafta; charbroiled minced lamb & beef and Chicken Kabob served with rice and grilled tomatoes. The combo came with a salad and hummus.  The Eggplant Yogurt Casserole was good though I thought it lacked flavor. I fixed that by adding some salt. The Cheese Lovers Feteer and Italian Sausage Feteer were a big hit. I think we could have eaten just that and everyone would have been happy. Feteers are made with phyllo dough (they make their own) and stuffed with whatever you would like


Before the main dessert, the restaurant sent a pre-dessert on the house. It was the Nutella Feteer. What's funny is I discovered that I was not the only person that did not like Nutella, most of us did not like it for some reason. This Feteer was exceptional. We all loved it. There was a little magic that transpired. First you see it, then you don't. They disappeared as fast as they appeared.


The main dessert followed. A whole Kunafe with Cheese! What is a Kunafe....it is finely shredded phyllo dough stuffed with sweet cream and honey. This was also enjoyed by everyone. I like it because it had the right sweetness from the honey (not too sweet) and the cheese cuts down the sweetness. We had it warm though I am curious if it taste as good or better cold since I like cold desserts.  We had a lot of left over so I can experiment on that and let you know my findings.


I thank my friends for attending the dinner last night. Sara our Italian teacher's sitter cancelled the last minute so she brought Davide along. I thought he would get bored with all the old ladies. He was so well behaved and joined in the conversation. He even drew me a happy birthday picture on a napkin.


We all missed our dear friend Ana (wish she could have joined us) and Berenice who had an emergency. I thank Salma, Farrah and Moe for taking good care of our group last night. Azure Mediterranean Grill is 1810 Pacific Coast Hwy. in Redondo Beach, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment