Monday, March 4, 2013

Salted Caramel Napoleon

Everyone has heard of Napoleons but have you heard of Salted Caramel Napoleons?
It is to die for! Ana, executive chef of L'Amande Bakery in Torrance, California has done it again.

This past weekend was the first time they sold these beautiful pastries at the bakery. Not to forget they also have the regular Napoleons for the purists.  I love regular Napoleons but since the introduction of the Salted Caramels, I have to say that this is one of my favorites. My brother who is always busy came to meet me at the bakery on Sunday morning to preview the never-heard of Napoleon. Of course we didn't want to start with dessert though that has not stopped us before.  I talked him into ordering the Croque Madame. After that hearty breakfast, he had the salted caramel napoleon which he loved judging by his moaning. Then, Ana came over and insisted he try the regular Napoleon so he could compare it to the one he just had. Though he was full, he must not have wanted to hurt Ana's feelings so he allowed her to twist his arm.....not much twisting went on.  He inhaled the regular napoleon with the custard filling. The verdict was he preferred the original custard to the salted caramel. It just depends on your taste; I suppose.


Since Napoleons are hard and messy to eat as they seem to have 100 layers of flaky and buttery dough, I found that the best way is to eat it is with your hands. By holding it on one end, you are able to keep everything intact.  When you use a fork and knife, all the filling comes out the other end. If you are like me, I want to have the right amount of filling in each bite, getting your hands dirty is a must. You actually don't get it that dirty-just three fingers!


So the next time you have the opportunity to try these Napoleons, do so and let me know your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment