Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Porto's Bakery & Cafe

I happened to be in the vicinity of Porto's Bakery last week with a friend. We had another engagement and we were early so Konnee suggested we stop by Porto's around the corner. I have  previously had their Cheese Roll, which they are famous for, and the Meat Pie.

It was a cold evening in Glendale, so I thought I could buy a few items and keep them in the trunk of my car. There was a loooong line just to order.  It was finally our turn so I got a few of the cheese rolls, meat pies, potato balls TM stuffed potatoes and mango empanada. 



I didn't have any of these till very late that evening. The cheese roll was very good and so were the meat pies.  What was REALLY delicious was the potato ball.  Heated, it was crunchy outside, soft inside with the mashed potatoes and the seasoned ground beef then it was later fried to golden brown.


For dessert, I ordered the mango empananda.  The mango filling was delicious, however,  I found the empanada part too doughy and heavy.  I think it would have been perfect with a flaky dough.


Porto's have several locations in Southern California. There is one in the city of Glendale, Burbank and Downey. They have an array of pastries, cakes, sandwiches, empanadas, salads, soups and a few other specialties. I need to go there a few more times to get the real feel of Porto's.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment