Saturday, March 2, 2013

Livello - 2013

This was my first visit to Livello in 2013.  I can tell you I have been there numerous times and I keep going back since my very first time in July of last year.  It has to be good enough for me to keep driving the hour drive.  Two nights ago, it took me an hour and 20 minutes! We were a bit disappointed that they have closed their main dining room which is now reserved for private parties.  The current room is nice a cozy with the bar and fireplace but it's not the same.

Sandi and I took advantage of the Gild City offer which was $95 for a four course dinner for two with a glass of wine. Some restaurants are better than others when it comes to prix fixe dinners; some may give you microscopic portions that when you leave, you want to drive to the nearest Carl's Jr. or have a late dinner at a coffee shop. Livello is one exception to that rule.

We started with the Chef's choice of Amuse Bouche which was called a Surf & Turf; this was Lobster with Tenderloin, Asparagus and Shallot chip. It was delicious. For the second course, we both chose the Brussels Sprouts. We both just loved it. It had big chunks of goat cheese, mitsuba, whole grain honey mustard sauce. We would have been happy to have that as an entree (bigger portion of course).



For our third course, we decided not to order the same thing. Sandi had the 5 spice Garlic Crust Lamb Chops with long beans and I had the Stewed Squid & Spaghetti pomodoro with broccoli cream.
The lamb was tasty, tender and just outstanding. The spaghetti was perfect that this may be the first time in a loooong time that it didn't even occur to me to ask for parmesan cheese.



For dessert we had one of each from the menu. The Ricotta Cheesecake with spiced pear compote and lemon ice cream and the Chocolate Cake with marshmallow, salted caramel and pistachio ice cream. I have had the chocolate cake before and remembered how good it was. The cheesecake was nice and light, not your typical heavy, dense cheesecakes.



Amy our server was attentive and very nice but we missed our favorite server, Joseph.
Chef Dayag came to greet us. I gave him my seal of approval on everything we had.

A note to Chef Dayag:  You could make that Spaghetti with the Stewed Squid a signature dish. It does not even come close to Scarpetta's spaghetti (Chef Conant's signature dish).  Yours have a lot more flavor. It was great seeing you and hope to see you soon.

Livello is located at the L'Ermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment