Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Max's Fried Chicken

Ask any Filipino about Max's Fried Chicken and chances are they will tell you how "sarap" (delicious) it is. Growing up in the Philippines, I have always known about it but what's funny is I have absolutely no recollection of having been to the restaurant.  I called up my brother and asked him if remembers our family dining there. He does remember. Oh well, I guess it's dementia....watch out Gary, you are only 3 years younger.

Yesterday was my lucky day. Our Filipino friends invited us to Max's Restaurant at 313 W. Broadway in Glendale, California.  I was excited. At long last I will be able to experience this fried chicken.  We got there mid afternoon which was nice as they were not busy.  The menu was extensive. They had so much stuff that I didn't know what to order.  The decision got easier when we saw A,B,&C specials for half a table which was for 5 people and full table for 10 people.  We decided to go for the half (although we were only 4), not a problem. For $77.00 we would get the soup of the day which was Tinola; chicken broth with chunks of chicken and vegetables, Max's fried chicken, Pancit Bihon (rice noodles) with vegetables and shrimps, Filipino bistek (beef steak) with onions, Lumpiang Shanghai (eggrolls) and of course steamed rice. All Filipino meals have to be eaten with rice. This also included choice of soda and a caramel bar.


The soup was very good. We all loved it. The fried chicken was also good; crisp as we dipped it in Mafran sauce which is a banana ketchup (a bit sweet) but I must say that it was not exceptional. The pancit was o.k. and the bistek's sauce and flavor was excellent though the meat was a bit tough. The lumpiang Shanghai, one of my favorite dishes did disappoint. It didn't have shrimps which I love. It only had pork and vegetables.  A friend of mine, Ramon used to make this and it was absolutely delicious so I guess I got spoiled.






The caramel bar satisfied my sweet tooth but only because I was to full to order anything else. My friend ordered a Halo-Halo ; translated mix-mix.  It's a Filipino dessert with all sorts of sweet beans, flan, sweetened coconut, banana, with regular vanilla ice cream of Ube ice cream (purple) served with lots of finely crushed ice with milk.  I am picky when it comes to Halo-Halo. I only like certain things in it. 


I can now cross out another restaurant from my list of  restaurants I have to try. The good news is I may not have dementia.  The reason I don't ever remember going to Max's Restaurant when I was younger is... it just didn't make an impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment