Thursday, March 14, 2013

Best Tarte Tatin

This very well could be the Best Tarte Tatin in the world.  Just like I have found the best tiramisu in the world (La Giostra in Firenze) ... this tarte tatin is coming close to home; that is if your home is in Southern California.

I have had many tarte tatins in France and here in the United States. This is by far the very best. For those who are not familiar with this dessert; it is an upside down apple tart made with caramelized butter and sugar and probably something else I don't know about. It originated at the Hotel Tatin in Lamotte-Beuvron, 100 miles south of Paris in the 1880s.  Stephanie Tatin, one of the sisters running the hotel came to make this dessert apparently by accident and when she served it to their guests, the all loved it and the rest is history.  Thank God for Stephanie.

I was again privileged to try the tarte tatin that will be sold at L'Amande Bakery in the near future. I got home and immediately put it on a plate but admired the beauty of it before I even got a fork. It was still warm. I wanted to eat it with some whipped cream but both Ana and Gonz begged me not to, at least on my first one. I must warn you that you have to almost wear ear plugs as it made a lot of noise when I tried to cut a piece. The noise was the sound of the layers of crunchy and flaky pastry.  The apples were plump and just ******* delicious. Can't think of the right word to describe this masterpiece!



We are all familiar with the saying: "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away."  I wouldn't mind having this apple everyday.  L'Amande Bakery is located at the Rolling Hills Plaza in Torrance, California.  Soon there will be another one in Beverly Hills. In the meantime, I thank God for Ana!

No comments:

Post a Comment