Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Grilled Yellow Fin Tuna

It's nice to be blessed with good friends; especially ones that like to cook and share.  Nako and Amy's son went on his yearly expedition to Mexico via San Diego to go fishing. He always comes back with a ton of fish. Yesterday, Amy called me and asked if I wanted some tuna and before I could say "Yes", my car was already driving to her house.

I got there and they had some raw tuna all sealed up; they told me that it is very good the way it was, sliced thinly. I am not the sushi type so I had planned to broil it.  As she was handing me the bags of tuna, she asked if I would like "fish belly".  I said: "I don't know, what does it look like?".  She showed me several pieces of grilled fillet.  It looked good so I told her I would have one which was enough for me and my husband for dinner.  As she wrapped the piece, she handed me another plate of bread pudding which had raisins and apples.  Her sister-in-law made it.  How could I say no?



I had some ready made Macaroni and Cheese I got from Sam's last week so I thought it would be good with the grilled tuna.  I didn't have tartar sauce so I just made up a sauce using Japanese mayonnaise, mustard, Maggi, and Mafran which is a banana ketchup (a bit sweet- found in any Filipino market)
The fish was delicious. My husband commented that it didn't even taste like fish. Nako did a great job in grilling it; it was so fresh, flaky and moist. It almost sounds like I am describing a pastry!



After dinner, I served the bread pudding which I didn't even bother to warm. I, however had some left over salted caramel sauce from L'Amande Bakery which I heated and poured all over my pudding. I know most people just like a little sauce to not overpower the pudding. Well, I like my bread pudding swimming if not drowning in sauce.



Seems like bread pudding is a popular dessert this time of year; winter. I am left to wonder which of my other friends will be calling me soon to pick up some food!

No comments:

Post a Comment