Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chicken in Champagne Cream Sauce

I bought some skinless chicken breasts the other day and some mushrooms.  I had no idea how to prepare my dinner.  I felt a bit creative so I just started step one and hoped to end up with something edible.

Step one was to put salt and pepper on the chicken breasts and sprinkled some Wondra flour. Step two: I melted maybe 3T of butter with a little olive oil and cooked the chicken a few minutes on each side till it was brown. I added more butter and some sliced mushrooms. Step three: I poured about 1/4 cup of Mirin (sweet cooking sake) and about 2 cups of Champagne over the chicken, covered it and simmered for 20 minutes. When I took the lid off, I thought the sauce needed to be thicker and creamier so I poured some whipping cream in it....then I kept tasting it and ended up adding more salt.  To thicken the sauce, I got a small bowl and added cold water to 2T of Wondra, mixed till smooth and slowly added it to my pan.



The end result turned out to be quite good. I served this with some left over rice and some ready-made cooked beets from Trader Joe's. This dish was very easy to make and since I had left overs the following day, I made some mashed potatoes which is the best thing to serve with any cream sauce.

1 comment: