Friday, November 2, 2012

Update on Food Trucks

I heard that the Grilled Cheese Food Truck was going to be at Narbonne High School in Lomita last night so I twisted Sandi's arm to accompany me. I have not had the Grilled Cheese and I've been wanting to try it for a long time.

We got there at 5:30 p.m. Some trucks were already serving and some just getting ready to open.  The first truck we came across with was the Sugar Babies Cupcakery. We looked at the flavors but they were all standard; till we saw the Bacon Cupcakes.
These were mini ones for $2.00 (2 bites). For $10.00 you get six.  Sandi had the brilliant idea of just buying one; we had a bite each to see if it was worth buying more.
As soon as we had our bite, we decided that it WAS worth buying six.  It had a piece of bacon on top with some maple syrup. I still prefer My Delight Cupcakery's bacon cupcakes since the bacon are cut in smaller pieces and evenly distributed.  With Sugar Babies, you have to be careful not to eat the whole piece of bacon or your second bite will be baconless. Of course you could shove the whole thing in your mouth but its a bit too big for that.



We then decided to try the Pork Belly Sliders (2) with the Garlic and Thyme French Fries from the truck called Belly Bombz.  That was very good. We also split the Connecticut Lobster Roll from Cousins Maine Lobster Truck.  That was the best. It had just a bit of butter and lemon and served  warm on a nice toasted bread. It was perfect as the evening got a bit chilly. We saw some friends; Joe and his daughter Jessica who joined our table and since I got distracted as I haven't seen them in a long time, I completely forgot to take a picture of the lobster.  The roll had big, juicy chunks of beautiful lobster. I can't wait to have it again but next time I will not share....I have to have my very own!



I will have to try their Lobster Bisque and Lobster tacos next time. We did have to try one of the desserts, which was Lobster Ice Cream. We both like lobster and we both like ice cream so we were intrigued. This union was not ala "Brangelina" It was more like "Felix and Oscar" of The Odd Couple. The lobster was tasteless when combined with the (sweet) vanilla ice cream. Bacon and maple syrup would have gone better. Sorry to say, lobster does not make a good dessert, at least not with ice cream. Well, its the thought that counts.



The Cousins Maine Lobster has a restaurant at 115 East Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena. If you can't follow the food truck, stop by their restaurant where they pride themselves in serving fresh lobsters flown daily from Maine.

I managed to take a picture of a picture of the Lobster Roll...thought you should see the generous portion of lobster. By the way, the Grilled Cheese Truck was not there which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

 
 

1 comment: