Sunday, November 25, 2012

Aliotta's Via Firenze

This restaurant owned by Michele Aliotta has been in business for 19 years!  When I used to work in Torrance, I went there fairly often.  Somehow, I have forgotten all about it since yesterday.  I thought it was time to refresh my memory.

Michele Aliotta the owner from Sicily was there, so was Manny who has been there since the restaurant opened.  They greeted us like long lost friends....well.. I was long lost but was glad to be found!

I remembered our server Cliff from the last time I was at the restaurant which could have been at least 2 years ago. My friend and I were starving but we were careful not to eat too much of the warm bread.  Since we were going to split 2 entrees, we had to figure out what we were in the mood for.  I just knew one of the entrees had to be pasta and I've always loved their Capellini with fresh tomatoes. Very simple yet not too many places can make it the way they do and of course it is always aldente. We both agreed to order the Rack of Lamb, a favorite of our server Cliff. I don't always listen to "favorites" of servers since everyone has different tastes. I have done that too many times and was only disappointed. He suggested the fresh pumpkin ravioli and since we both love pumpkin ravioli, we said "Yes" to that.





The Lamb was so terribly delicious, juicy and tender with "almost burnt" crunchy garlic slices which went well with it.  They were served with broccoli and potatoes that were full of flavor.  The Capellini was a good side dish as it was so fresh and it complemented the lamb perfectly.  The Pumpkin Ravioli was the same story; another perfect dish with an incredible sauce. 

Even though we were full, we did have some room for dessert.  I also remembered my last dessert that I had there; I could not remember the name but  I knew it was a crepe.
Cliff reminded me the name of this wonderful dessert: Sacchetto, which is a crepe with creme brulee filling. This was prepared by our table side.  After he filled the crepe he then folded it and sprinkled some sugar on top then torched it.  After that he squirted some chocolate sauce and I think some caramel sauce then served it with ice cream. It was incredible. What a nice finale.




Michele came over and reminded us that anytime we wanted something that was not on the menu, he would try and make it.  He always aims to please and we were more than pleased.

Aliotta's Via Firenze is located at Torrance Blvd. in Torrance.  We can't wait to go back with our other friends hopefully sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment