Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tinto

Tinto is one of the 5 New Hot Spots in Palm Springs.  Iron Chef Jose Garces is the chef and owner of this new restaurant.  I made reservations a week ago and was excited to try the pintxos, which are small plates and is the Basque equivalent of tapas.

We started with the Tinto Sangria which is red wine, apples, spiced simple syrup & fresh fruit. It was very refreshing especially coming from outside which was 105 degrees at 6:30 p.m.

We had the charcuterie of meats which included Jamon Serrano, chorizo pamplona, saucisson sec and lomo. Before it arrived, we were served 2 cheese rolls with a dip goat cheese, aioli w/ peppers. To me, it tasted like cheese whiz with some aioli. The cheese rolls were o.k., nothing to write home about. In fact I mentioned to my friend how I haven't had the cheese rolls at Lobster House (the only thing they have good at that restaurant; lobster is always overcooked) in a long time.

The charcuterie came with a few slices of french bread if you can call it that. The bread was tasteless. The meats were good but not exciting.
We ordered Dungeness crab with avocado, espelette chile. We both thought the crab had too much lemon that overpowered the sweetness of crab. The diver scallops looked good cooked in cider demi-glace, bacon and shaved apple. It was good....case closed.

The kobe beef was very tender as should be but not much flavor especially on top of the tasteless bread.
Our final pintxos was the artichoke which sounded promising since our server raved about it.  Baby artichokes with fresh pappardelle, meyer lemon. My friend and I had 2 small bites each. On a good note, the pappardelle was aldente. The artichokes were just too sour.  Reminded me of the ones you buy in a jar.  We could not finish it. Another good note, our server apologized and took it off our bill.

This meal was a total disappointment that we decided not to even try their desserts.  I am so sorry to say that I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone at least not for now.

P.S. This review is dedicated to my brother Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment