Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Salted Steak

I usually marinate my steak in vinegar and a bit of soy sauce before grilling but I decided to try something else.  I surfed the web and found an interesting way which called for adding lots of kosher or sea salt over the steak (both sides) and whatever herbs you would like. I added rosemary and thyme to mine.

You should let the steak rest for at least an hour.  Since salt draws out water, you will actually see water come off the steak.  I was worried that the steak might be too salty but the recipe states otherwise.

After the waiting period, you are supposed to rinse the steak. Rinse it well. I was afraid I would wash out all the salt so I semi-rinsed it; then you are to pat them dry with paper towels so there is no moisture at all (do your best).  Once dry, I added fresh ground pepper and grilled it on the stove with a bit of olive oil.  The recipe suggested adding flavored butter (with basil or whatever flavor you have) I didn't have any flavored butter, however, I had the salted French butter.  So you guessed it, I added a slab of butter after I flipped the steaks.

This would have gone well with some mashed or baked potatoes but I only had leftover rice and beans.  The rice and beans formed a bed for the salted steaks. It was a bit salty which I didn't mind but the surprising thing was my husband loved it. When my son Erik got home later in the evening, I heated the steak in the microwave which sometimes overcooks the steak but that was not the case.  Without making any comments, he asked me if I cooked the steak a different way because he thought it was very good.

I would definitely make this again. For the record, I bought my steaks at Sams Club. They do have quality steaks!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this nice beef recipe in my Food on Friday Series. This week the ingredient is beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving me the link to your recipe.

    ReplyDelete