Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sur

This restaurant in West Los Angeles is where the "beautiful people" dine. It's a hip place where the waiters are probably part-time handsome actors. In fact, I couldn't help overhear this lady tell her server: "You look much better in person than on  television."  He was the guy that sat us and talked about the menu. He did not look familiar to us.



The ambiance is totally for romance. Everything is white and silver with some crystal chandeliers; the tables illuminated by candles.  The only distracting part was the tables were very close together that you end up eavesdropping on your neighbors.
Lucky for us, we had 2 ladies from Seattle that engaged in our conversations as we compared our entrees and traded stories.



We ordered the fried Goat Cheese Balls with Cucumber Salad and Mango Sauce for an appetizer. Those were very good although the sauce for the other appetizer we ordered would have gone much better with it. The second appetizer we ordered was the Chicken & Shrimp Steamed Dumplings with a Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. This was an excellent choice. We both loved it and with an abundance of the wonderful sauce, we swiped some of the salty goat cheese onto the sweet chili sauce. Great combination!

For our entree, I ordered the Charbroiled Rib Eye Steak with Peppercorn Wine Sauce.
That was tender and quite tasty.  This came with a choice of sides. I could not decide if I wanted mashed potatoes or french fries. The "actor" said: "The mashed potatoes, definitely." The mashed potatoes tasted like the ones you get from a box without being doctored. I have made mashed potatoes from a box and when I added lots of butter and some whipping cream, it turned out pretty good.  The brussels sprouts were not bad.
My friend had the Veal Milanesa Napolitana with Mozzarella Cheese an Tomato Sauce. That was very bland but was edible.



Our neighbors were not pigs like us...One ordered the Golden & Red Beet Salad with Blue Cheese, Pecans and a Dijon Dressing. It looked good and she confirmed our assumption. Her niece just ordered a salad as well; Belgian Salad with Endive, Caramelized Pecans, Gorgonzola Cheese with a Honey Pear Vinaigrette. It looked good though I  had to take her word for it.

My friend and I both decided on the Crepes with Dulce de Leche.  By the time it arrived, we forgot what filling it was supposed to have.  The crepes looked very unappetizing. It looked DRY; and dry it was.  The filling tasted like chocolate but not a good tasting chocolate.  It was gummy. We both could not even finish one small crepe. My friend ended up passing her plate to our neighbor to try it and her comment was it tasted like a thick pudding.  I don't know where the "dulce de leche" came in....I think if it came in...it went straight out the door.

 
Most of the pictures I took were overexposed from the flash so I did not include them in this blog except for the Crepes so you can get an idea of how boring it looked. Looks are very important, especially if they put a lot of emphasis on the beautiful staff.
I am including the link to this restaurant so you can see for yourself the ambiance, the staff and their menu.
http://www.surrestaurantandbar.com/

To the delightful ladies from Seattle, I forgot to tell you something ... since you have my email address, please drop me a note at your convenience if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment