Friday, February 15, 2013

Food Trucks on Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day started out with my friend Mertz, bringing me a rose and a jar of her famous apple butter. Nice!


My friend and partner in crime Sandi and I decided to have dinner in Rolling Hills Estates where the food trucks were parked starting at 5:30 p.m. last night. We got there shortly after 6:00 p.m. and the line at Cousins Maine Lobster Truck looked like a mile long. I was excited to see the Ludo truck next to Cousins.  I have always wanted to try anything cooked by the famous  French Chef Ludo Lefebvre who has won numerous cooking awards. So, while Sandi lined up at the Lobster truck, I also fell in line at the Ludo truck. Sandi ordered the warm Lobster roll which we have had and loved, plus the lobster tail on a skewer. I ordered the Buttermilk chicken with Bearnaise sauce and the 2 piece Crunchy Chicken Strip with the honey mustard sauce.  They were out of fries so I ordered the cole slaw. While waiting for my order to be called, I ran to the Tornado Potato truck and got the Truffle Potato.  The guy told me it was just lightly salted so he suggested I add a little more.  I added a lot more and saw this big plastic bottle of Ranch dressing which I squirted all over the potato......hmmmmm..the Best!




All the tables were full and there was no place to sit so we decided to eat in Sandi's van. I had to balance the various chicken and lobster on my lap while pulling the potato apart . The buttermilk chicken was way better than the crunchy chicken strips which we thought was dry. The 2 sauces, Bearnaise and Honey Mustard had the same flavor. If you closed your eyes, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which? The coleslaw was terrible. It was a bit spicy (which is fine) but it was also sour. We had a bite each and that was it. So, the verdict is we were really not impressed with Ludo.  He may be a great chef, but chicken ain't his thing.



The Lobster roll was terrific. It was as good as we remembered it to be. The tail on the skewer was a bit dry. We both recommend sticking with the rolls.  Next time we go, we will definitely be there as the trucks open for business to avoid the long lines which takes away from the eating pleasure.

To end Valentine's Day, Sandi presented me with a nice bouquet of flowers. Girlfriends are the best.....thank you Mertz and Sandi.


No comments:

Post a Comment