Friday, February 22, 2013

Blueberry Pesto Pizza

You owe it to yourself to read this blog even if the title turns you off.  My niece Aimee and her husband Elliot were recently in Bemidji, MN.  A friend of Elliot's family, Lynn Kistler, dreamt of this recipe. He apparently loves blueberries; so when he woke up, he lived his dream!  Aimee raved about how good it was and so far she has been a credible source.

The recipe is very simple. It calls for the store bought Boboli Whole Wheat crust, soaked blueberries in maple syrup (4 hours), Pesto sauce from a jar, chopped green and black olives, bell peppers, red onions, blue cheese and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

I used the regular Boboli as I forgot the recipe called for the wheat crust. I didn't find the shredded Jack cheese and was lazy to shred my own Jack, so I bought the combination Cheddar and Jack cheese.

I spread the pesto on the pizza crust, added all the toppings and added the cheeses last. Baked it at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes. It looked scrumptious but of course looks can be deceiving. I had my doubts. Had the first bite .............ohhhh my.....what a big surprise. It was absolutely wonderful.  The saltiness of the olives and the sweetness of the blueberries were incredible. It reminded me of a scene from a movie everyone has seen wherein the woman and man see each other from far away and then run towards each other.  The  excitement of their union is comparable to the different flavors that come together on your first bite!




I want to thank Mr. Kistler for living his dream.  Champagne wishes and here's to more gourmet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment