Sunday, August 27, 2017

Uovo

After seeing the movie "A Trip to Spain" which was about food,  it was appropriate to have a nice lunch at this new restaurant a few feet from the Laemmle theater on 2nd street in Santa Monica.


It's a small restaurant and they do not take reservations. I was not sure if they would have a line on a Sunday afternoon. I just hoped and prayed that not too many people would have heard of it at this time. It was a relief to see that there was no line. We walked in shortly after 1:00 p.m. We looked at the menu and I immediately saw 3 items on the menu that I wanted to try. I wanted to try the Lasagna Verde, the Tagliatelle al Ragu which was different as it was made without cheese, milk or cream, and the Tonnarelli Cacio e Pepe. Sandi announced that she would order the Ragu so I positioned myself across from her so we could share that and I decided to have the Cacio e Pepe to share as well.


Sujata ordered the Tonnarelli all'Arrabbiata which was spicy.  She was very happy with her choice. Mertz opted for the Ravioli ai Carciofi (artichokes). Uovo prides themselves with their pasta which is made in Bologna and flown overnight to the restaurant. I have to say that the pasta is the main event at Uovo. You really can taste a difference. They were cooked aldente. Our server explained that since everything is made to order, they would bring them out as soon as it is cooked. They do not wait and bring all the food at once.  The Bolognese was great. If you are accustomed to heavy sauces, you would be disappointed in this dish. I loved it as you could taste the pasta which was simply delicious and the meat though too salty for Sandi, was perfect for me. I did ask for some Parmigiano cheese and Carlo came over and suggested that we try it first but would be happy to bring some if I needed it. Carlo, part owner of the restaurant was attentive and asked if he could mix the pasta for us. He made sure we experience it fully the way it should be eaten and enjoyed to the maximum. He was not pushy. I totally understood where he was coming from because I am the same way. I like people to experience the joy I get when I eat something a certain way. If they don't like it, then they are free to do what they want. I also enjoyed the Cacio e Pepe.


Mertz was not too excited about her Ravioli. I tried one and I felt the same way only because I am not used to a soft ravioli. It was not aldente and apparently, it is meant to be soft. When Carlo came over he asked us if everything was satisfactory, I mentioned that we thought the ravioli was a bit mushy. He offered to bring us something else and Mertz told him it was not necessary but he insisted he bring us an order of Ravioli di Ricotta to share. Though the ravioli was not aldente, it had a very good pomodoro sauce. We cleaned that plate! Not everyone like their ravioli aldente so if  that doesn't bother you, you would enjoy the Ravioli di Ricotta.


Uovo is a good Italian restaurant. I don't think you would get any better pasta. You really will be able to tell the difference. I can't wait to try the Lasagna Verde and the Carbonara. Uovo is located at 1320 2nd St. in Santa Monica. Don't let google maps fool you because even if they have the correct address, it tells you to go to 5th street which does not make sense. Go and enjoy the wonderful pasta at Uovo and say Ciao to Carlo.


No comments:

Post a Comment