Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Oliver's Prime

I went to this restaurant by accident.  About a month ago, I saw this special offer which sounded great for the price. It included a choice of appetizer, entree, dessert and a glass of wine. I bought one and my brother bought one. In my mind, I thought I was buying it for the restaurant Ocean's Prime which is a great restaurant I have been to in Beverly Hills. It was my mom's birthday and Sandi's birthday on May 17 so my brother and I thought it would be a nice place to celebrate. Long story short, I found out 2 days before our reservation that Oliver's Prime was not Ocean's Prime but the menu and the ambiance from the pictures still looked good ....so what the heck!

We were in for a pleasant surprise. It turns out that the restaurant is located in a hotel; The Grafton on Sunset at 8462 West Sunset Blvd. on West Hollywood.The ambiance was indeed cozy and we spotted a nice booth which we ended up having.  Our server, a cute young woman named Tahnee was obliging and hospitable. We were all impressed with the way they presented the menu. It was a bit heavy but it was a hit since we have never seen anything like it. As you opened the book, a light shined on the menu making it readable without anyone having the need to reach out for their reading glasses.



Three of us decided on the Lobster Bisque for appetizer which had pumpernickel croutons and was drizzled with truffle oil. It was good though not as thick as I would have wanted.  Sandi ordered the House Cured Pork Belly with beluga lentils, leeks with lingonberry gastrique. I had a bite of it and it was good.  For entrees, my mom and Gary had the Pan Seared Black Cod with saffron tomato risotto, artichoke and citrus butter. The cod was delicious especially the crispy skin! We all thought it was perfectly seasoned though my mom had to add some salt. Sandi and I split the American Wagyu Hanger Steak served on scalloped potato gratin, roasted garlic and green peppercorn.  The steak was cooked to perfection and had a nice flavor. The other entree was the Wild Mushroom Rigatoni which was excellent .


For dessert, we all decided on the Signature Bread Pudding with caramel creme anglaise and chocolate whipped cream. This was the only disappointment. It was good but very ordinary. Sandi makes a much better bread pudding. They will have to improve that or not call it their signature dessert.  Other than that, I would definitely go back to check on the other items on their menu. We were very happy with everything else and loved the service.


1 comment:

  1. It looks great and very colorful which makes it more pleasing to look at. The booth looks like a nice cozy place to eat. You all look very happy.

    ReplyDelete