Saturday, May 2, 2015

Il Pastaio

Another birthday dinner; this time it was at Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills. My friend Mary said she was taking me to this Italian restaurant but could not remember the name. I was so happy when I found out it was Il Pastaio. I love this restaurant and have been wanting to go back for a long time but never got to it. I even ordered some food for my niece when she had her daughter's christening party at their house.

On my prior visits, the service at this restaurant was terrible and this was confirmed by friends and associates who had dined there on different occasions.  This time, we were lucky. Our reservation was for 6:30 p.m. and since it was a beautiful day, sun still out and no birds in sight (I am afraid of birds), we decided to sit outside. Our server Carmelo was the best! He catered to our every questions and needs. A real Italian (not the fake one that tries to be one) with the personality to match his antics.

We ordered a Caesar Salad to split and an order or Arancini. The salad was great with anchovies and though Mary does not like anchovies, she did enjoy the salad. The Arancini was good but not better than the ones I order from Gaetano's. In my excitement, I forgot to take a picture of the salad.


I had to order my favorite Cacio e Pepe which I always enjoy. Mary had the Spaghetti Bolognese which is also one of my favorites. My pasta still lived to my expectation. It was aldente and just couldn't be better. The last one I had at Osteria Mozza was not good; too much pepper it overpowered everything. Mary loved her bolognese which I tried and it was still very good. She has never had the cacio e pepe so I had her taste some of mine and she loved it.


We ate a lot of bread to start  so we felt like we didn't have room for dessert. Since this was a birthday celebration, Mary thought I at least had to order dessert. I remember the Tiramisu being excellent but since it was my choice, I ordered something lighter and healthier; Lemon Meringue Pie (healthier cuz it's made with fruit) . It came with a candle. I was able to convince Carmelo to sing Happy Birthday in Italian. He did a good job! The pie was very good. It tasted as good as the picture below.



Il Pastaio is at 400 N. Canon Dr. (corner of Brighton St.) in Beverly Hills. They are open for lunch and dinner everyday. I think I may return next week with my brother and another friend just to check it out to see if the service has truly improved. I am hoping this was not just a fluke. Who knows, maybe Carmelo will be on duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment