Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Dinner at Bettolino Kitchen

I have been to this restaurant several times since it opened. I have recommended the best dish ever, the Lasagnetta to all my friends and they have all given me the thumbs up feedback.  The last time I was there, they talked about changing the name because people had the traditional lasagna in mind and when they got this dark surprise on a plate; they had a look of disappointment, especially since it is not cooked in your regular tomato sauce; despite the description of the dish. See previous blog: http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2015/03/bettolino-kitchen.html

I took my mom there yesterday with Sandi. I almost hyperventilated when I did not see the Lasagnetta on the menu. Sandi spotted it with a different name. It is now called Pappardelle. First of all, I think they should change the name again since this should be their signature dish. Calling it Pappardelle does not do it justice. It's just like calling a dish Penne or Risotto. One name that comes to mind would be Pappardelle di Cocoa.  Right away this would attract my attention and wonder how they would incorporate cocoa with pasta.


My very strong opinion and Sandi's as well is they should bring back the Lasagnetta. The very thin lasagna squares had a much better texture than the the pappardelle and looked more intruiging. Don't get me wrong, the pappardelle was delicious with the lamb ragu. In fact my mom loved it so much and boasted that it didn't need any parmesan. I would still highly recommend the dish; it's just that we had the original which was outstanding in every way. How's Piccolo Lasagna di Cocoa?

I wanted to expand my Italian vocabulary so I also ordered the Nero di Seppia. Squid ink tagliolini pasta with fresh shrimps, cherry tomatoes in a pesto sauce. The shrimps were ever so plump and juicy but it needed a lot of parmesan. That's just me (my mom too) since we like our food to be on the salty side or should I say, parmesan side.

I still have a lot to go through on the menu; next time I will venture into undiscovered territory.
A note to Vince, Andreanna, Sean and Chef Fabio: Please bring back the lasagnetta. While I am in the request business, how about the fried artichoke hearts you used to serve at Gaetanos......


No comments:

Post a Comment