Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Ad Hoc Fried Chicken at Bouchon

I have received monthly emails from Bouchon advertising their Ad Hoc Fried Chicken and I have read about their famous lemon-brined buttermilk fried chicken.  Needless to say, I have been wanting to see what I have been missing. The question was: Would $38.00 bring happiness?

I got 3 friends and my brother to help answer the question. We got there and shortly after we were seated, they served some warm bread with a creamy butter. I don't know why butter almost always taste better in restaurants. We all ordered the chicken; no deviation. 


Everything was served family style. A nice wedge salad was brought out with what looked and tasted like buttermilk dressing. The salad was not overdressed nor underdressed; it was appropriately dressed.  They also served cheddar biscuits which were delicious with some gravy. The  seasonal side dish was okra; braised in tomatoes and bacon, this was a disappointment. It wasn't bad but it just didn't do anything for anyone of us. I would have preferred other side dishes they served in the past like mac & cheese or corn.




The chicken was indeed very good.  It was really crispy outside, no hint of any grease and the inside was plump and juicy as can be. It was not "to die for" but it was better than most I have had; better than Ludo Lefebvre's buttermilk chicken. I also thought it could have used some sauce.  My brother wanted banana ketchup and I could have had some honey.


For $38.00, we were happy though we could have been happier; we got a lot of food with lots of left overs.  So yes, it was worth it and yes I recommend you try it but wait till Okra season ends. They used to offer this deal on the first Monday of each month. They now added another Monday.  For a Monday, the restaurant was packed with people eating fried chicken.



After dinner we exited through the bakery and lo and behold, they were still open. There they were....3 Kouign Amanns sitting waiting to be picked up.  I bought the last 3. If you haven't had them, it is worth the trip especially if you get them early in the morning. Thomas Keller is still the King of Kouign Amanns. See my previous blog on this pastry.
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2011/11/paris-at-bouchon.html


Bouchon is located at 235 N. Canon Dr. in Beverly Hills, California.


No comments:

Post a Comment