Monday, July 22, 2013

Ruth's Chris

It's been at least 15 years since my last visit to Ruth's Chis, the steak house. I remember the sizzling steak as it was brought to the table. The sizzle comes from butter which they add at the end just before they serve it.  They were one of the restaurants listed for the dine LA weeks.

Sandi and I had to go to take advantage of the great deal which included lobster, salad, side dish and dessert.


The  Caesar salad was very good with lots of shaved Parmesan, and I mean lots! We were off to a great start.  Sandi had the house salad and she was happy with it. The 6 ounce filet with a lobster tail sitting on it came to our table sizzling like crazy. I should have taken my Lipitor before my first bite. It was butter all over and the aroma was quite pleasing. The steak was well done even if I ordered medium well; not to worry, it was tender as can be. My lobster tail was tough and overdone. As the server came by, he asked how everything was so I mentioned that the lobster was overcooked. He offered to exchange it but I declined. I figured I was there for the steak and it was very good. Soon after that, the manager came by and said she had heard that our lobsters were overcooked so she insisted on giving us fresh ones. We were grateful. The lobsters came and indeed they were soft but this time, they were undercooked. I really didn't have the nerve to tell her when she came to check on us. I just thought we would take them home and nuke them in the microwave for a minute.  The side dishes we ordered were mashed potatoes and mushrooms; both were great company for our steaks.


Dessert was surprisingly delicious.  Cheesecake crème brulee, chewy chocolate walnut cookie with rhubarb compote.  The cheesecake was not your regular cheesecake.  This was just a very light, almost liquid crème brulee. The cookie had a fresh out of the oven taste; warm and gooey which went well with the rhubarb compote.


The question is: Is Ruth's Chris still worth visiting?  Definitely......it's an experience.  Just do not order lobster. It's not their thing. If they can't get it right twice in a row, they are likely not to get it right at all.

Ruth's Chris has several locations. We went to the one on 224 S. Beverly Dr. in Beverly Hills California.

No comments:

Post a Comment