Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Angelini Osteria

Our friend Cindy turned 60 yesterday. Ever since she heard that Giada de Laurentiis loved the Lasagna Verde at Angelini Osteria she has been wanting to go. Never mind that I have told her many years ago how good it was.....she had to hear it from Giada. So it was only natural that we celebrate her birthday there.



First and foremost, I had forgotten how friendly the staff are. Hearing these Italian men speaking to each other made you feel like you are in Italy. Service was great. Gino our main server was very helpful and attentive. If we needed something else and Gino was not right there, someone else was more than willing to cater to our needs; unlike certain restaurants wherein you'd have to wait for your particular server to ask for something.

There were 6 of us so we all decided to share 3 appetizers.  We ordered the Red Beets with Mixed Greens and Burrata, Braised baby Artichokes with Olive Oil and Onions and a Fig Gratin with Gorgonzola and Saba Sauce. In case you don't know what Saba is; it is a grape must reduction and has a sweet taste. All 3 salads were truly delicious but the Fig was everyone's favorite. The melted Gorgonzola with the sweetness of the fig and the sauce were synchronous.




Five of us ordered the Lasagna Verde "Omaggio Nonna Elvira"  (green lasagna) with beef and veal ragu. All I can say is Thank God for Nonna Elvira or this lasagna may not have been created! It is as great as I remembered it to be.  It was unanimous; all thought it to be heavenly. It was served with crispy greens; it may have been spinach which was a nice touch. Our vegetarian friend was quite happy herself ordering the Pumpkin Tortelli with Butter, Sage and Asparagus. I had a bite of it and if I were vegetarian, I would have been hooked on this dish. I had to have a little (??) Parmesan on my lasagna and they happily grated some; no attitude as if wanting to say: " How dare you, it's perfect the way it is."  The people working there actually like each other and are happy to be there.




The next time we go, we will have to order the Whole Branzino Roasted in Sea Salt. I have had this in the past and it is the most delicate fish with fantastic flavors that one could order. They fillet the fish right in front of you.

Dessert time....five of us had desserts. One passed as she thought she was getting too fat! We will have to leave her home next time. The birthday girl and Sujata had the Mascarpone which was the best I have ever had with strawberries and red wine. It was so light it was like eating cotton candy. Sandi had the Torta della Nonna; custard pie with pine nuts. This was my least favorite. I guess you really have to like custard. It was too rich for me. My brother had the Affogato Gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. That was o.k. but nothing to write home about. My dessert was Crostata Ciocco, Budino chocolate lover's delight. Come to think of it, I forgot to offer anyone a taste of it. I ate the whole thing!





All in all, everyone had a great time including the birthday celebrant. Happy 60th to
Cindy!


Angelini Osteria is located at 7313 Beverly Blvd. in Los Angeles. They are open for lunch and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment