Thursday, July 18, 2013

Croinuts at Capicola's

The cronut craze have arrived in Torrance. These are called croinuts. For those who haven't heard, cronuts which  originated in New York and invented by a French chef by the name of Dominique, is a combination of croissant and donut. Its is made with a croissant dough so it is flaky...or at least is supposed to be, and then deep fried like a donut. Forget the calories.  This guy is so smart that marketing wise, he has done tremendous business and even has a trademark on the name so followers may not call them cronuts; therefore we have, dosants (donut-croissant), croinuts, etc.

When I heard that the nearby Sandwich shop, Capicola's was selling them, I felt it was my duty to investigate.  For your information, these things don't come out of the oven till 10:30 a.m. to which I was disappointed when I wanted them for breakfast.  Oh well, I went back and purchased a variety to try them out. They had numerous flavors but I only purchased the chocolate, chocolate chip, pistachio, and salted caramel.
This was an experiment so I shared them with 5 people.

First of all, these look more like regular donuts. When you cut into them, there's a bit of a flakiness filled with Bavarian cream (I was told) but too much of it that it weighed down the donut. Since the are deep fried, it was a bit crunchy and it was not bad for the first time though it left a greasy aftertaste.  I would compare this to a first kiss; not bad, a bit awkward and you'll never forget it.





I am glad I was able to try the local ones. This is a fad and I call it this because I am sure that after people have tried them for curiosity's sake, they will not want to be suckers as these croinuts are $4.99 each; let's face it....it's $5.00!!!! These ones are just not worth the money.

In the meantime, I will keep you informed on my cronut adventures. This weekend we plan to go to Little Tokyo and try some from Frances Bakery.

Capicola's is located at 3160 Pacific Coast Hwy in Torrance.                 

2 comments:

  1. oh darn, i just left rpv. i'll check them out on my next trip home. they sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina,

    Thank you for your patronage. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a blog post dedicated to our newest pastry addition. Since your visit, we have perfected our recipe in respect to preparation, frying temperature and the amount of Bavarian filling we infuse in each Croinut. These modifications have lightened the overall weight of the pastry, without sacrificing the flavor.

    I'd like to invite you to come back and try our new recipe!

    Thank you again, Karina.

    ReplyDelete