Friday, July 6, 2012

Wonderful Weisswurst

This sausage is often neglected as most people know only the bratwurst or knockwurst . Of course there are numerous sausages but we tend to favor the white sausage, weisswurst. It is made out of veal. I buy them from the Alpine Village in Torrance. It's a German market and you can find all sorts of European delicacies aside from their wide array of sausages and cheeses.

For the 4th of July, I decided to give hamburger a break.  To accompany the weisswurst I served red cabbage with apples and mushrooms. You can buy red cabbage in a jar at any supermarket; just add chunks of apples and mushrooms and simmer. They even sell red cabbage with apples at Alpine Village.  I just added more apples and some mushrooms. With this, I had to serve lumpy mashed potatoes made with red potatoes with their skin. I put a stick of butter in it (maybe more) and whipping cream plus some feta cheese......uh uhmmm good if I may say so  myself.



I barbecued the weisswurst; everyone loved them. I also had a few "chicken" sausages that I wanted everyone to try, so I just gave them 1/2 of a sausage.  I didn't get any complains. They all said it was very good.



After we consumed the dinner, I asked: " Do you all want to know what the chicken sausage really was?"  Some had panic written on their faces. I had to confess that it was rattlesnake! (it also had pork in it and is delicious)  I got them from Wurstkuche in Venice, Ca. They have all sorts of sausages as well.  I leave it to your imagination on the comments and sound effects I got.

The wine I served was a 2007 Jolie red wine from Eden Canyon. I do not go by the old rule, white meat, white wine.  I like to break the rules. If I like a wine, I serve it with what I have prepared.  If my guests don't like it they can leave.....no one has left yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment