Saturday, July 21, 2012

Food Truck Revival

It's been 3 weeks since Sandi and I decided to take a break from the food trucks.  The last time was a big disappointment.  The location was at Narbonne High on Western Ave. in Lomita.  The food trucks are there every Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  Two nights ago, we thought it was time to take a chance and just go for it. We decided to invite another friend; so with 3 people, we could try more and just share everything; that way, if something is really bad, you don't get stuck with the one item and .....as the saying goes: " Misery Loves Company".

I got excited when I saw the truck "El Burger Luchador",  we have had this the first time we went to this location.  If you recall, this is the burger with peanut butter and jelly in it. I remember how I loved it (even if I don't like peanut butter).  I immediately told our friend that he HAD to try it so I pretty much ordered him to get one.


Sandi went to the Gravy Train truck and ordered the crispy fried chicken with fries and cheese smothered in white gravy. This looked better than it tasted. It just didn't excite any of us. She also got the deep fried cheese curds in tempura batter then deep fried. Those were very good except some of the balls hardly had any cheese. I took a picture of that but was accidentally deleted.  This happens when I'm in a hurry taking pictures and notice everyone else eating as the food is getting cold. Oh well, you can't win em all.

I went to the Garlic Escapes Truck and got the Gar-licious garlic fries tossed with feta cheese and served with a sauce. This was the best thing we had. I also got the fried artichoke with feta with a nice sauce, also delicious and semi-healthy. My mother always told me to eat my vegetables; she never specified how to eat them!


All these fried food....it was time for dessert and the only one that looked promising was the Sweet Wheels truck.  I had talked to the lady from the truck as they were setting up and she explained the beignets to me. I was skeptical at first since I've always thought no one can top Cafe Du monde's beignets.
Got an order of their "signature" Beignets and Ricotta Puffs with tangerine cream. 
The ricotta puffs were again deep fried and dusted with powdered sugar. They were very good. The beignets were just as good if not better. They were lighter that Cafe Du Monde, plus it had a very thin line of custard inside. I would definitely have this again, but will be sure to ask for extra powdered sugar.


We are still waiting for My Delight Cupcakery to come back to Harbor City, even if they would never have my favorite fried chicken cupcake because they only make those on Wednesdays.  I could use some bacon cupcakes anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment