Thursday, July 5, 2012

Easy Fruit Tart & Ultimate Chocolate Cake

For the 4th of July, I had ordered the new ultimate chocolate cake from Red Ribbon in Carson (Filipino bakery). I have not had it nor do I know anyone who has had it. Not sure if we would like it, I decided to make an easy festive fruit tart.



I bought the ingredients from the German market in Alpine Village in Torrance.  I started out with the "Sponge Layers". This is a very dry cake meant to absorb a lot of liquid.  I  used the heavy syrup from a large can of peaches and added brandy (quite a bit till you Really taste the alcohol). I then poked a multitude of holes with a bamboo skewer in the cake and slowly added the syrup-brandy mixture. It is easier to do this with a serving spoon. When totally drenched, add lingonberry preserves or your choice of preserves as a base. Cover the layer with cool whip; although you can get the "lite" cool whip, I used the "extra creamy" for extra goodness.  Top with whatever fruit you wish. I used a bunch of blueberries and a few raspberries. I normally make this with just canned peaches and it is just as delicious.


My dessert was a hit!  Everyone loved it.  The chocolate cake did not do too well.  It was not sweet which could be a good thing but we all had that blank look when we tried to analyze what was wrong with it. One said it lacked flavor; we all agreed. Then another said it was the quality of the chocolate.  I did call the manager the following day as she asked me to give her our feedback.  She was very appreciative of our comments and asked if she could call me back in the future if they have something new.

I may not volunteer for experimental drugs but experimental desserts????  ANYTIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment