Saturday, July 7, 2012

Luna Rossa

This Italian restaurant in Rolling Hills Estates has been open for quite some time but I have not had a chance to try them out until last night. The other locations are in Huntington Beach, California and Henderson and Las Vegas in Nevada.

We were not very hungry or should I say, we talked ourselves into not being hungry as we wanted to eat light ( I know you have heard that before) Sometimes, its the thought that counts.  We were going dancing after dinner and believe me, it is no fun to dance the samba on a full stomach.

We started out with their bread which we had no trouble consuming. We decided to order 2 kinds of pasta to share. No salad, no appetizer! Our choices were the Penne al Pollo e Broccoli and the Rigatoni Amatriciana. The penne had little squares of white meat chicken , shallots and sun dried tomatoes cooked in a light cream sauce. The rigatoni was cooked with prosciutto and onions.  The combination of the 2 pastas were very good and they complemented each other since one was lightly creamy and the prosciutto had a stronger flavor; salty which be both liked.



Since we were too full to finish both pastas ( Our Sensa must have been working ),  I suggested we split a dessert. The Exotic Bomba was our choice. (I know...it sounds like a sex toy).  This was a sorbet-type dessert of mango and passion fruit with raspberry sorbetto in the middle covered with white chocolate and drizzled with chocolate. Sounded wonderful. How could you go wrong! Well, I can tell how this could have been better. They could have used better quality white chocolate and a thicker layer. The dark chocolate drizzle was almost invisible. What you see is a raspberry sauce.
Not surprising...we couldn't finish it. 



We were disappointed with the service. We got there at 5:30 p.m. and there was just one other party of 5; it did get busier as the evening progressed but by then, there were more servers. It was just really slow; we then realized this was a Friday night.

If you are not in a hurry and just want a relaxing evening, then you might like Luna Rossa as you will have plenty of time to relax.

4 comments:

  1. This must a newer restaurant, it wasn't there when I lived there 2 years ago. Doesn't sound too promising.
    Have you tried the Curry House in Torrance? I'll be visiting next week and I plan to visit all my favorite restaurants.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Curry House even if I worked on top of it for 2 years. I was not into curry then. I highly recommend Ocean Tava if you like Indian food. It's in Redondo Beach on PCH. I have blogged about them several times.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, thanks! I will definitely check out Ocean Tava. My absolute favorite cuisine is Indian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See if you could go on a Wed. evening. They have a sunset menu; 3 course dinner w/glass of wine for $20! In addition, try to order the baby corn and the olive naan. It's the best. Ask for Nitin and tell him Karina sent you.

    ReplyDelete