Monday, March 12, 2012

Dinner at Home



Since I do not eat out every night I have to make dinner exciting; at least try to.
The other night, I decided to make a chicken schnitzel which turned out pretty good. All I did was flatten the chicken breast, applied salt and pepper, dipped it in Wondra flour, beaten egg and panko. I then fried it in butter. I garnished it with lemon slices and anchovies. I also squeezed some lemon just before serving. I made some red skinned mashed potatoes (salt & pepper,milk,butter garlic powder and some bleu cheese). For color, I microwaved some carrots with a dash of sugar.

Tonight, I decided to experiment. I decided to just put something together without going to the market. I took 1/2lb of bacon and cut them into strips. I cooked 1 lb.of penne pasta with spinach (healthy..vegetable plus it has fiber) in my pasta boat. If you haven't heard of the pasta boat, you are wasting a lot of your time.
When the bacon was almost done, I added a whole tub of shitake mushrooms (again, healthy..lots of selenium). I then added the aldente spinach penne. At this point I was not sure what else to add. I thought of adding a jar of pasta sauce but I didn't want to drown the taste of the bacon and its wonderful fat. So, I decided to add some black truffle oil. Seasoned it with salt and pepper and a bit of parmesan. Voila! That did it. Served it with more parmesan.

Dinner at home could be exciting but then when all is done, one has to do the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment