Saturday, March 17, 2012

Capricciosa





Again, I got excited to try this Japanese Italian restaurant in Torrance, Ca. I did my homework and googled the restaurant to preview the menu. Everything that caught my eye had meat in it. It happened to be another Friday in Lent. (Can't eat meat)

I also read about the history of how this establishment came into being. It started with a young chef who eventually opened his first restaurant in Shibuya, Japan.
He later expanded to Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines and Hawaii.

Yesterday, a friend and I decided to have dinner there. It's a small place; 1/2 of what occupied the old Claim Jumper. The other 1/2 is now Tony Romas. My friend just ordered water to drink; she's not into alcohol. I was planning to order a glass of the house wine. I asked her what the RED house wine was and she answered, chiablis. With that answer, I figured I should stick to diet coke!

We split an order of 1/2 of a caesar salad which was plenty for the two of us. It was nothing special. We also split an order of the shrimp gratin and eggplant gratin which looked so good in the picture. It was indeed good, the shrimps were tender, and the eggplant also good with lots of cheese. Both entrees were nothing to write home about.

The waitress came to ask us about dessert. Most of the desserts were ice cream, so we thought we should try the tiramisu. According to her, they made this in house and was very good as she just had it earlier. It arrived with a bunch of slivered almonds which I didn't think belonged there. It was nice and light but we both have had better ones.

The next time I will have to go to the other 1/2 which is Tony Roma's. At least there I know what to expect...good ribs...though I haven't been to this new one since the one in Redondo Beach closed many years ago. So, till then.........

No comments:

Post a Comment