Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sidecar Doughnuts

I now know that when we get an itch to go on a Sidecar doughnut run, the day to do it is on a Sunday morning. Sandi and I left her house at 8:10 a.m. this morning. The 405 freeway was wonderful; it took us an hour to drive to Santa Monica from Torrance and back with 5 minutes standing in line while we decided what doughnuts to buy.

I already knew that the Huckleberry was the best so I got several of those. I also got the Butter and Salt, Vanilla which I haven't tried and their special, Apple Pie which is really an apple cake topped with apple glaze finished with their house made cinnamon almond crumble. Just as I thought I ordered everything I wanted, I spotted the very dark chocolate doughnut so I got one of those too.

As soon as we got to Sandi's house we first had a piece of the Dark Chocolate with Valrhona pearls. We both thought it was terrible. When I looked at my previous blog, I made the same comment on the Chocolate Mint. The chocolate tasted gummy. It had an unpleasant taste and texture. I had half of the Butter and Salt which was good but when I tried the Vanilla, both Sandi and I thought it was better than the Butter and Salt. It was not cake-like. It was very light and delicious. 


The Apple Pie was wonderful. It was not sweet and if I hadn't sampled the other doughnuts, I would have had a second one. I was too full to have some of the Huckleberry which I froze for future consumption. These doughnuts are not cheap. Thirteen doughnuts cost a whopping $44.00. Quality cost money so I understand. What I don't understand is the boxes they give you when you buy multiple doughnuts. They are very flimsy and with the price they charge for these doughnuts, they should be able to furnish sturdier boxes. Maybe they can have a "bring your own box" and get a free doughnut which wouldn't be a bad idea and could be cost effective.


Sidecar Doughnuts is located at 631 Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica, California.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my - that apple pie donut was delish! When I saw that you bought a dark chocolate I was sooooo excited - until you said it was so disappointing. Live and learn, huh?

    ReplyDelete