Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Prosciutto-Pancetta Penne Pasta

Last night, I made the Blueberry Pesto Pizza which was an invention of a man by the name of Lynn Kistler from Bemidji, MN. It was like meeting an old friend; I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that odd combination pizza. See previous blog below:
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2013/02/blueberry-pesto-pizza.html

I had left over red and yellow peppers, red onions, olives and cheese.  Today, I decided I would make a pasta and add all those ingredients plus some prosciutto and pancetta.  I had some Tri-Colore Penne (Barilla brand) which I cooked on the pasta boat in the microwave.  I then proceeded to saute the red onions in a bit of olive oil, added the pancetta and prosciutto.  After a couple of minutes, I added the peppers and the olives.  I poured about 1/2 cup of Mirin sauce and let it simmer for a few more minutes. I then added the cooked pasta which was aldente, to the pan and poured some of the pasta water.  I seasoned it with salt and decided it would be taste better with some blue cheese. It turned out pretty good and with some parmesan cheese......pretty good turned out to be very good!



I served this with a salad and before the salad, I served an appetizer made of Mozzarella whip and cherry tomatoes with olive oil and a balsamic glaze. It not only looked interesting but was tasty.


For dessert, we had salted caramel gelato (Talenti) and I crushed some salted pretzels and sprinkled them on top of the gelato.  Ice Cream Lab from the other night gave me that idea so I can't take credit for it.


I must mention that our dinner was accompanied by a very good bottle of wine from Eden Canyon Vineyards. A 2010 Estate Cabarnet Sauvignon from Paso Robles, California.  You won't find this wine at your local Bevmo, I suggest you go to their website as they are very limited; they are suppliers to some of the top restaurants in Beverly Hills and Las Vegas. http://www.edencanyon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment