Friday, June 21, 2013

Food Trucks Revisited

Pretty much last minute yesterday, as Jodi my hairdresser and I were talking about our favorite cupcakes from "My Delight Cupcakery", I had and urge to go visit the food trucks on Western Ave. in Lomita.  I immediately sent a text to Sandi  to find out if she was free and interested in checking out the trucks. I got a reply almost before I could send the text; it read: "I'll pick you up at 5:00 p.m.."

And so went....we were there at 5:15 p.m. and there were only 6-7 trucks when we arrived. My Delight Cupcakery was there and that just made our evening; anything else was secondary.  We thought it wise to have some dinner so to speak before dessert.
Kogi BBQ was our pick. We ordered the #1 Combination Tacos (you get to pick 3). We had the choice of Calamari, Short Ribs, Spicy Pork and Chicken. I ordered the first 3 and Sandi had the short ribs,  spicy pork and chicken. The calamari was almost too spicy for me....it was HOT but tolerable. I loved it; mind you this was not your regular crispy calamari so Sandi wasn't as excited as I was and it was too hot for her. The short ribs were full of flavor; it was delicious and better than the spicy pork.



I must tell you that before we consumed our tacos, we each bought our stash of 6-8 cupcakes to take home. We had positioned ourselves in front of the cupcake truck. How convenient is that? After our meal, I looked at the cupcakes on display and one caught my eye. The Caramel Cheesecake.  Sandi and I don't even like cheesecake but this looked too good.  I bought one to split. Incredible...it's a caramel cake stuffed with velvety caramel frosting with light cheesecake mousse then drizzled with more caramel and edged with buttery graham cracker crumbs.



After that mouth watering dessert, Sandi ordered me to check out Street Kitchen which had an interesting menu. As I walked by, I had to ask the manager, Brian if this Street had something to do with Street Restaurant which I did not like at all. He told me I was the second person to ask him that. They were not related to that restaurant. I studied the menu and saw one of the specials which was Lobster Grilled Cheese. It looked good with the thick bread and avocado with bacon bits and of course chunks of lobster. Had to order one which Sandi and I split. That was very rich and very good. I thought a sharper cheese would have made it better but then again, it might have lost the lobster flavor so we thought it should be left as is.  After this sandwich, we stood up and left. We didn't want to tempt our taste buds further.



This morning, I had 1/2 of the Lemonade and 1/2 of the Key Lime cupcake. Those were equally delicious. The key lime was made of pound cake stuffed with key lime pie filling with a fluffy, slightly toasted meringue icing. The meringue was a bit chewy and gooey....perfect in my book. The lemonade cupcake was a buttermilk cake stuffed with creamy lemon filling and dipped in lemon white chocolate gnache topped with  zesty lemon buttercream and a cookie.


My second favorite cupcake is the Breakfast Cake which is a light buttermilk cupcake with bits of applewood smoked bacon, iced with a buttery maple frosting and topped with fresh crumbled bacon bits. I know everything sounds too sweet but it really isn't.


You might or might not ask what my favorite (first choice) cupcake is....it is the Late Night Breakfast. This might make some people say: " EEEWWWW...Yuk!" It is the cupcake with the fried chicken on top of the cupcake. The terrible thing about this is that they only make it on Wednesdays and unless it is a Wednesday, you are out of luck unless you want to drive all the way to Ontario. That one is waffle inspired; you've heard of fried chicken and waffles...this is somewhat the same idea. It is has buttermilk soaked fried chicken on top  and it is drizzled in maple syrup. I am salivating as I type ..... Then again, maybe it is a blessing that My Delight Cupcakery isn't nearby or I would probably weigh 300 lbs.!

No comments:

Post a Comment