Friday, June 14, 2013

Live Lobsters

A friend of ours sent us two 2lb. live lobsters in the mail.  I was excited to cook them for dinner.  I was going to serve them with baked potatoes. I intended to boil them.


The lobsters came in a box packed with ice packs and some kelp.  I guess, that is so they will feel at home while in transit. An old acquaintance once told me you can sort of anesthetize them before you cook them. I have tried it before and it seemed to work.  This time, I tried my luck and rubbed the back of the neck as they get quite active when you take them out of the box.  After a about 15 seconds, the lobster calmed down and sort of went to sleep. It was easier dunking it in the boiling water.
That was the easy part. I cooked them according to the directions that came with it.


Prepping the lobster for dinner was another story. My husband, the retired anesthesiologist, wore a pair of surgical gloves.  The lobster was too hot to handle with such thin gloves and had a lot of very sharp edges, so he added a pair of rubber gloves. I got out my little shoe hammer which is a real hammer made of cast iron, since we didn't have the proper paraphernalia.


The little hammer was a joke! So we had to get the big guns. There we were whacking and pounding away.  I felt like a member of the Gambino family.  The meat from the tail didn't look like the way you see it in a restaurant. It came out in pieces but since this was not a restaurant, I didn't care, as long as it was edible.  By the time we finished part 1, the lobster was cold.  I squeezed fresh lemons on them and dipped the numerous dismembered parts in warm butter. All of a sudden, the whole ordeal seemed worth it, delcious and succulent lobster. I guess the experience is comparable to childbirth; after the labor pains, you forget all the pain (though that's not entirely true-speaking from experience)



Part 2 was back to the sink to finish the job. The claws were the best part; very sweet and tender.


Part 3 was the clean up; what a big mess!  I now will never complain about the price of lobster in a restaurant. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment