Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hinoki and the Bird 2

This was my 2nd time at Hinoki and the Bird.  Couldn't wait to go back so I did with some relatives last Tuesday. They wanted to celebrate my son Erik's birthday. There were 6 of us; none of them have been there before so I felt like a guide to a new set of college students entering the university.  They were in for a treat.  The last time I was at Hinoki was also a celebration in April. See my last blog on the items we ordered.
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2013/04/another-birthday-celebration-at-hinoki.html

Of course we ordered some of the plates we ordered previously as they were too good to pass. We had the wonderful Calamari, the best Beef Tartare ever, the Caramel Braised Kurobuta Pork Belly, and the impressive Hinoki Scented Black Cod.

We had some new items (I've never had):  We started with 2 orders of different varieties of fresh oysters. I loved all of them...not that I ate all but could probably have eaten all.
We had some of the yummy Lobster Rolls and the Chili Crab Toast with spicy cucumbers. Don't let the spicy fool you; its really not that spicy. You have to try this as it is absolutely delicious. The Tomato Salad was nice with sweet tomatoes and creamy Burrata cheese.




Some of us ordered full entrees and I got to sample all of them.  The Scottish Salmon was so tasty that I would probably order that next time.  My cousin loves white rice so he ordered some on the side to go with his salmon. 
My niece had the Hinoki Scented Cod which was a no brainer; super good. Elliot had the Caramel Braised Pork Belly and I had the Apple Marinated Short Rib. (All of which I had previously and pictures are on previous blog)

Erik ordered the Coconut-Curried Mussels with Sausage and Cauliflower. That was delicious with lots of the coconut juice which was great when you dipped the thick burnt toast in it.  Otto had the the Miso Marinated Skirt Steak which came well done though he ordered medium rare. Daniel, our very attentive server apologized and happily replaced it.


Dessert was exciting. I would have ordered the Shaved  Mint Ice with Coconut Gelee, Nata de Coco (which I love), and Black Sesame Praline except it had coconut chunks  in it. There were several flavors of Mochi; Miso with Butterscotch, Chocolate with Curry Caramel and Dulce de Leche with Toffee, Cajeta. I had the Chocolate which was good but when I tried the Dulce de Leche.....that took the cake....so I ordered one; it was the BEST of them all. Someone else had the Cotton Cheesecake with Rhubarb, Raspberry cream and Strawberry Yogurt Ice Cream.  My husband had to have the Devil's Food Cake with Guayaquil Mousse, Pralines.  For Erik's birthday, they brought out something special just for him.







Nick Moore, the manager came by several times and Beverly, our old or should I say previous server also came by to say hello which made me feel like part of the family. Tomorrow, my brother Gary is taking Erik there for dinner for his birthday. I was not invited (don't know about this family), so I guess I will have to plan my 3rd trip with some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment