Tuesday, June 11, 2013

9 Bean Ham Bone Soup Mix

Last Easter, I bought a ham from Bristol Farms.  I got a bigger size than called for since I wanted to have left overs.  I froze the bone in a zip lock with a lot of meat on it.

Last week, I thought it would be good to resurrect the bone and cook some soup.  I went to the neighborhood Honey Baked Ham and purchased the 9 Bean Ham Bone Mix. (less than $5.00)

It called for soaking the beans for a several hours.  It also suggested (optional of course) to add carrots, celery or any vegetable.  I added both carrots and celery. The beans were so pretty, you almost wanted to play with them....which I did while washing them.


I just threw everything in a big pot as instructed.   Since I added vegetables, I also added a lot more water than the 4-6 cups suggested. The hard part was waiting for it to cook as you smelled the nice aroma. 



A soup this good called for equally good bread which I got from L'Amande Bakery and needless to say a good Cabernet.



I almost want to buy another ham just so I can make the soup again!

2 comments: