Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sympathy Dinner

When God closes the door; He always opens a window.  I am sure you heard that saying before. I remember it from one of my favorite movies; The Sound of Music.

In my case, the door that closed was an accident I had last week. I slipped while rehearsing for our 'burlesque routine" in my dance class. The funny part (not so funny) is I was not even dancing when it happened. It was the walking part of the routine. To make the long story short, I fell and landed on my behind and back. I could not move and ended up in the hospital via the ambulance;  I spent the night there heavily medicated.

I am home now doing fine but still on pain pills but at least I can walk.

Now you ask, where is the open window? Well, you get a lot of sympathy from friends who offer to do all sorts of things for you. Last week, my friend Amy and Nako brought a giant pizza, a big tray of chicken salad, a whole chicken from Costco. That pretty much fed my husband (who is also recovering from the biking accident last month) and me for a week. I have never had the much talked about chicken from Costco; now I know what the fuss is all about. It was tender and very juicy.

Last night, Sandi brought a full dinner for two. She came with a big tray with chicken marsala with mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes, blackened Brussels sprouts, asparagus,  carrot & parsnips. She cooked all that plus she brought along some chopped garden vegetables which came with its own dressing she bought at Sam's. She also made some chicken noodle soup which I kept for the following day.



This dinner for two fed 3 people.  Everything was so delicious. I felt so privileged; as if someone sent the dinner from a fine dining restaurant. She didn't dare make dinner without dessert....so she brought us 2 apple crisp which she baked. I mentioned before that I don't like warm desserts unless it is a souffle.  After refrigeration, my husband and I had the crisp with the white creamy icing.  Whatever weight I lost for the week, I managed to gain in this one meal. That was the best apple crisp I have ever had. It was really crispy on top with the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and of course lots of butter. Oh, and she didn't forget the apples which came from Vermont.
The creamy icing was made with more butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and bourbon.



It has been a week since I've been home and today I managed to drive to my favorite bakery so I could get a nice fresh french baguette to go with last night's chicken soup.

Another perfect dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment