Thursday, October 18, 2012

Penne e Langostino

Yesterday was a Trader Joe's day. I know I wanted to make pasta and use the basil, rosemary and thyme from my garden....that was the basis of my trip. So, I strolled along the aisles of Trader Joe's hoping to be inspired.

I knew I needed canned whole tomatoes so I got a couple of cans of the Cento San Marzano tomatoes which is a product of Italy. I also got a package of Penne Rigate which was also imported from Italy.  I then got to the seafood frozen section. I found some frozen Langostino tails.  I thought.....hmmm...that should be good.



Got home; opened the cans of tomatoes and rinsed off the seeds and chopped the tomatoes.  I chopped a bunch of basil, a bit of rosemary and some thyme.  Heated my pan and discovered  I did not have any garlic or onions to saute in olive oil.  I could have gone to the neighbors but didn't feel like it so I just heated some olive oil and threw the tomatoes in. While frantically looking for garlic, I discovered I had some mushrooms I had purchased from Trader Joe's several days ago. I put in half of the package, then added the fresh herbs and some salt.

In the meantime, I had cooked the penne in my pasta boat for 17 minutes (recommended was 27 minutes)  It had to be  more aldente of course since it had to simmer in the sauce at the end.  Just before adding the pasta, I added the cooked langostino.  I also added a a bit of Mirin sauce to balance the tangy, salty taste after I added the remaining sauce .  The pasta was the last step in which I added a bit of the water from the pasta boat.



The finished product was perfect.  I was impressed. I later looked up Langostino and learned that though sometimes  called Langostino lobster; it is neither a lobster nor a prawn though I think that's what describes it the best. It is a crustacean, that's all I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment