Friday, September 7, 2012

Sycamore Kitchen

Last Sunday, my brother wanted to try the bakery at 192 S. La Brea in Los Angeles called Sycamore Kitchen as they were featured in the L.A. Times recently. I also read the review where the writer raved about their kouign-amann.  He also warned the readers that there is usually a line to order.  We didn't want to have to line up so we decided to meet there before they open at 8:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.  I dragged my friend Cindy so we both had to get up early to get there by 7:30 or so.



We got there by 7:40 a.m. Nobody in site except, Gary, my brother, Cindy and I.  The place looked cute from the outside. We patiently waited till they unlocked the gate. At 8:00 they rolled open the gate. We immediately went in and ordered.  The kouign-amann was not ready and would not be ready for 30 minutes.  I was a bit upset and told them they should have it ready when the bakery opens since that was their specialty. I ordered a sticky bun and an apricot almond tart. I also went ahead and ordered 6 kouign-amann to take home. I was told that this was not allowed. Since they were not out, I could not pay for it.  That really annoyed me because if there was a line by then, I would have to  fall in line again and the cashier confirmed that.  I have never heard of such a stupid rule!  It turns out, it was a blessing in disguise.  The kouign-amann was good but not outstanding.  If you have had the best, like the one from Bouchon which isn't far from there, then you would be disappointed.  In fact, Gary suggested we go there after and we all agreed!





My sticky bun was good, the apricot almond was also good. Cindy ordered the scone. It didn't look too good but Cindy said it was o.k.  She had me try it and my suspicion was confirmed. It was dry  I asked her why she ordered that as it looked like a dog biscuit to me. Again, once you have had great scones like the ones from L'Amande Bakery in Torrance, it is hard to settle for anything less.



I don't think I will be going back to this bakery. They have a lot of other things but if the best thing they have isn't good enough for me then I will pass on the rest. The Sycamore Kitchen;s owners are the same ones that own Hatfield's and I have heard only good things about it so I am hoping I won't be disappointed when I try Hatfield's.

Like I mentioned...we did go to Bouchon and got the real kouign-amann.  Top all buttery and flaky and a tiny bit sticky on the bottom. There is nothing like it; except of course if you are in Paris and happen to stop by Pierre Herme; the only difference is the ambiance...one is in Beverly Hills and the other in Paris.



No comments:

Post a Comment