Sunday, June 5, 2016

Lunch and Dinner at Wildflour

Since Wildlflour was close to our apartment in the Philippines, we kept going back to try the many other items on the menu that looked good. Our friend took us there to try the lasagna. Sandi and I split an order of the Lasagna and an order of the Wildflour Salad which had bacon, roast chicken, bleu cheese, poached egg, cucumber with a green goddess dressing. Our friend who was not too hungry ended up just ordering a Buko Pie (young coconut). The Lasagna Bolognese was almost as good as my lasagna; very thin aldente noodles and salty enough. The salad was interesting with the poached egg. We did enjoy the salad.


Three days later, my mom, nephew Brian and Sandi watched a 4-D movie and right after that, we found ourselves close to another Wildflour. I had the lasagna again. My mom ordered the same thing. Brian had the special Quiche which he seemed to enjoy. Sandi had the Sweet Corn Waffle, bacon strips, bourbon, blueberry maple syrup. This looked wonderful but unfortunately it looked better than it tasted. She could not finish the waffle so I had a bite and understood why; it was too sweet with the syrup and made parts of the waffle soggy.


Back to our apartment, we had a couple more light dinners at Wildflour since this was on the same block. One night, we weren't too hungry so we decided to just have soup with the good French bread they serve. Sandi had the Leek and Potato Soup with bacon whipped cream which was too thin and runny, unlike ones we have had in the past. I had the Tomato Soup which supposedly had sour cream and basil. I like the basil in the soup but the soup itself was too sour and acidic. I asked for sugar and must have put in close to a tablespoon of sugar. It still didn't taste good so I asked if they could give me some sour cream. I had hoped to make the soup a bit creamier. They gave me a "shot" of sour cream. It was almost edible but still did not enjoy the soup.


We gave it one more chance for dinner.  Sandi and I noticed people ordering hamburgers which looked good do we finally ordered the California Burger; Australian wagyu beef, cheddar with caramelized onions and tomato. We have had better burgers. The fries were very good though. We also ordered the Casarecce Caccio e Pepe. This was also a disappointment. It was too creamy and heavy. I know what a good caccio e pepe should taste like since this is one of my favorite pasta dishes. Aside from the excellent ones I have had in Rome, Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills still makes it best, at least in Los Angeles.


I was just recently informed that the owners of Wildflour are Walter and Margarita Manzke, the same owner of the famous restaurants in Los Angeles called Republique which I have been to. Though not everything at Wildflour is to my liking, I'm sure you will find your own favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment