Monday, June 27, 2016

Gary's Birthday Bash at Il Moro

When my brother Gary informed me he was having his birthday celebration at Il Moro, a restaurant I haven't been to, I was a bit leery especially when he said he hasn't tried it in a long time. He just remembered that it was good. I thought that was bold of him. What impressed him the most was the efficiency and no-nonsense meeting he had with Lucy, the manager. He liked the ambiance of the restaurant and it just seemed the perfect venue for 60 people.


Cindy, Sandi and I got there first followed by Ramon. We are always the early birds. We were immediately impressed with the setting. Tables with centerpieces, an open bar and for entertainment, he had Joyce Partise, a jazz & bosa nova artist and her band.



Hors d' oeuvres started promptly at 6:30 p.m.  Belgian Endive filled with goat cheese,  topped with caramelized walnut, mini Beef Wellington, mini Pizza Margarita, and my favorite, Tuna Tartar with avocado on wonton crisp. They all went well with the champagne. The sounds of Joyce Marie and her band made people want to dance but most were still too shy, except for Ramon and me.


The 4 course menu looked very good. We had to pick an appetizer, a first course, an entree and dessert which excluded the birthday cake. Since I fell in love with the tuna tartar, I decided to stick to the Tuna Tartar with diced tomato, avocado, champignon mushrooms, olive oil sea salt with chive dressing and lemon jelly. Cindy, who sat next to me chose the Parmigiana di Melanzane, layers of baked eggplants, mozzarella cheese, basil in tomato sauce. Several people in our table chose the Fettuccine alla Bolognese, we could really tell the fettuccine was homemade and sauteed in a Bolognese sauce. I had a bite of the Cappellacci di Ricotta e Spinaci; spinach pasta filled with ricotta cheese and spinach sauteed in butter and sage....yummy.


I wanted to be healthy and order the Filetto di Sogliola; sole filet in a lemon white wine sauce but since I just had that a few days ago, I decided on the Tagliata di Manzo; prime beef short loin steak sliced and grilled in rosemary served over a salad of arugula, cherry tomato and shaved parmesan. I made the perfect choice as I really enjoyed it. I tried the Sole and unfortunately I thought it was too salty. I never complained about "salty" in the past since I do like a lot of salt. This was just too much. Everyone in the table that ordered the sole shared my findings. Jackie, seated next to me could not eat hers so I suggested she ask for something else. The server immediately and happily got her the Costolette di Agnello; grilled lamb chops which was absolutely delicious. I told Sandi and Cindy to ask for something else but they didn't want to make a big deal.


Dessert had to be Tenerina Cake which was a dark moist chocolate cake with a crispy crust. Though it was good, I tried not to eat the whole thing since I knew there was more cake to come. As the night progressed and more alcohol was consumed, inhibitions diminished and soon most guests took to the dance floor to show their moves.



Soon after dessert was served, Joyce Marie invited everyone to sing Happy Birthday to Gary. The berry chocolate mousse cake was ordered from Vienna Pastry. It was as delicious as it looked; not too sweet. I almost didn't want to have any as I was too full but I thought it to be bad luck not to eat a birthday cake. I think I made that up.



I have to mention that the service could not have been better. They were all so very friendly  and professional. This is truly a great venue for a private party. Everyone enjoyed themselves; it was a nice size crowd yet very intimate. Happy Birthday to my "younger" (un po) brother Gary.

Il Moro is at 11400 W. Olympic Blvd. in Los Angeles.


No comments:

Post a Comment