Saturday, August 22, 2015

Spaghettini & the Dave Koz Lounge

I have been to the original Spaghettini in Orange County a zillion years ago but have been wanting to try this restaurant in Beverly Hills which is fairly new.  It was the perfect time to go as a bunch of us wanted to see Joyce Partise and her distinguished band. She is an incredible Jazz, Brazilian Bosa Nova, Samba vocalist and we try to see her wherever she performs, from the Biltmore, Montage, Vibrato Grill to name a few.


My brother recognized another patron who also follows Joyce's performance so he went to their table to say hello. He was informed by that couple that the food is fairly good and that they still were running a special of $40 for any 4 small plates and there were a few to pick from. We all thought it was a great idea as we wanted to try as much as we could. Our waiter did not mention that to us and when we asked him about it, he just agreed that it was a dineLA deal they decided to extend.

We all had the $40 deal. The question was what to order. Everyone had the 4 course special without the dessert except Gary; he had to have a dessert. The dessert menu didn't excite me so I thought I would concentrate on real food. There were lots of little plates, though we noticed that some of them were really not little at all; which was fine. Ante & Edan had Tuna Tartare, Hamachi and Scallops between the 2 of them as their appetizers. Sandi had the Organic Beets with orange yogurt and mint. I had a bite and didn't like it; it was much to sour for my taste. She also had the Burrata with basil pesto; had a teaspoon full of the creamy yummy burrata. I had the Squash Blossoms with ricotta, olives and tomato jam. That was very good! I also ordered the Octopus which was grilled and cooked to perfection. Even Sandi liked it. She couldn't get over how it was not rubbery at all. Gary had the Dungeness Crab Cake with lemon, cucumber & aioli. That was good unlike the one we had the other day at Soleil, the French restaurant.



The other plates we had were: the Spaghettini with crab ,shrimp ,salmon caviar and saffron; this had a good flavor but it was ruined since the shrimps were tough and overcooked. They should not even put them in if they can't do it right. The Casarecce Carbonara was aldente and delicious. I liked that one. The Lamb Chop was also very good with the walnut salsa. That was cooked to perfection. The last dish I ordered was the Copper Pot Short Rib; short ribs served in a copper pot with English peas, potatoes and mushroom. Unfortunately I could not eat anything more as I was too full. I ended up taking it home. I did have a bite from Gary's copper pot and it was truly yummy. It just fell apart and the sauce was wonderful. I looked forward to it the next day but unfortunately again......my  son ate it!


Gary was the only one that ordered dessert; Flourless Chocolate Cake. We all laughed because Edna told him we would ask for a bunch of forks so we can all share his cake. It turned out to be not too good. It looked better than it tasted. Oh well.....better luck next time.


Spaghettini is located at 184 N. Canon in Beverly Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment