Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Assumption Abbey Fruitcake

My friend Di mentioned in his facebook page that his mom told him the best fruitcake is made by the Trappist monks. I have had cheese and wine made by the Trappist monks in Banja Luka in Bosnia and Herzegovina a year ago; but never their fruitcake. A cousin of mine mentioned that she has had it and it was delicious.

The first thing I did was google fruitcake made by Trappist monks. The video on how they made the fruitcake intrigued me. http://www.assumptionabbey.org/fruitcakes.asp

The fruitcake is made with lots of butter, brown sugar, currants, red & green cherries, pineapple, lemons, oranges, walnut & pecans, raisins, burgundy wine and injected with rum. If that does not make you want to try this fruitcake, I don't know what will.....


This 2 lb. fruitcake comes in a pretty tin can. I served it with a bit of whipped cream. Everyone liked it and had the same comment which was "It is unlike any fruitcake I have had". It is dense and very moist.


The bonus you get is a special blessing. The monks pray over the fruitcakes for the people that will be consuming them. Does this mean, we get holy calories?

No comments:

Post a Comment