Friday, August 21, 2015

Saffron & Rose Ice Cream

Three of us ended at Saffron & Rose Ice Cream after our dinner at a French restaurant across the street. My brother Gary has been there and he raved about the Cucumber ice cream. We got there and after looking at all the flavors, I zoomed in the Cappuccino and the Espresso. Gary insisted I try the cucumber so I did. It tasted like cucumber, so if you love cucumber you would probably like this ice cream. I want my ice cream to taste like a treat and not like something I have to eat (vegetables).


We all ordered 2 flavors each. Sandi had the Cucumber and Almond. Gary had Rum Raisin and Cappuccino. I had the Cappuccino and the Espresso. I liked mine a lot. When I looked at the table in front of us, I noticed 2 plastic bottles which looked like it had some sort of sauce or syrup. I was curious so I asked the man behind the counter what they were. He told me it was Faloodeh. It was a white ice cream with noodles in them. Sandi tried it earlier and she said it was "nasty".


He proceeded in giving me a scoop of Faloodeh and instructed me to put some of the syrup. It looked very interesting.  I squirted a bit of the lemon syrup and more of the sour cherry syrup and then I mixed it. I over mixed it and it almost looked like a noodle soup. I had the first slurp and boy was I surprised! I loved it! It was a bit tangy and sweet at the same time. Even Sandi admitted that it was good unlike the first time she had a taste of it. Gary just didn't care for it only because he does not like anything sour or tangy. His palate has a lot more training to do.


I later spoke to the man who gave me the extra scoop. His name was Freddy. He is the manager and part owner. He explained to me that Faloodeh is a popular Persian dessert that has been around since 400 A.D.!!!!  I thought this to be incredible and very interesting. It consists of Rose water, lime juice, sugar and thin vermicelli rice noodles. I looked it up later and even found recipes and demonstrations on you tube on how to make this delicious and refreshing dessert.

I thank Freddy for opening my eyes to this new dessert. It's a lot better than the cucumber! Saffron & Rose Ice Cream is located at 1387 Westwood Blvd. in Los Angeles. They are open from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. I can't wait to have my next Faloodeh fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment