Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cafe Dulce- Little Tokyo






My niece and her husband took us last night to this famous cafe in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles.
I felt like a little girl in a candy store. My eyes were going all over the place; didn't know what to try. I really wanted to try them all but knew this was not feasible. So we ordered a variety of pastries and shared them. There were 5 of us, so I thought we should at least order a minimum of 5. Then I saw the bacon donut which I have never had and have always wanted to try. It was very good as expected. How can it not..its a donut, a bit sweet with bacon. If anyone thinks that is too weird, think about eating your pancakes and ordering a side of bacon. Same thing and more convenient as it is All In ONE!

The sweet potato chestnut roti with cream cheese and ground chestnuts were really good but my favorite was the raspberry tiramisu with mascarpone. This was light and not too sweet with the right amount of raspberry puree, in other words...perfect. When we were all done I went back in to browse and discovered these long pastry which looked like dough drenched in flour. It intrigued me so I bought a bag (4 in a bag). I opened it and we all had a piece. We were all surprised and delighted by this new discovery. They were called creamy cloud sticks and was stuffed with mascarpone butter cream, not much, but just enough to give it that delicate flavor.

Before we left, my niece insisted I buy some of the rolls for breakfast which she has had before and just raved about it. I thought, how can anyone get so excited about rolls? I bought the spirulina and the tapioca rolls. The spirulina didn't even look good, it looked like old bread when it starts getting moldy. You know the saying "Don't judge the book by its cover"..... boy did I misjudge! I heated this roll for breakfast and put some butter and jam...WOW! it was incredible! I called James the son of the owner who by the way was the best host to ask him what the hell was in that bread? Forgive the ignorance, but spirulina is a blue green algae that is pure protein with vitamin A,E, and potassium. Who knew healthy could be that good? I didn't! The tapioca roll had wheat flour, black sesame seeds, walnuts, and probably a dozen more healthy stuff and it was equally good.

Don't miss this little gem next time you are at Little Tokyo and say hello to James who is the nicest guy...he makes you feel like his house guest instead of just a customer.

1 comment:

  1. Those cloud sticks were amazing. Next time we are there I'm going to get some homemade marshmallows for you to try. And there rolls are so goodM

    ReplyDelete