Sunday, January 29, 2017

La Montina Franciacorta Rose

My excuse for making this dinner was to serve one  of my favorite wines: La Montina Franciacorta. It's an extra dry sparkling Rose that I discovered on an event held at Obica in Santa Monica. My friends love it as well. You have to try it to believe how nice and refreshing it is.


I recently bought a few jars of condiments from Home Goods. They occasionally have some interesting items that are less expensive than a specialty store or your local market. I didn't know when I would actually have it and with what? I decided to open Olivier's Truffle Mustard from Napa Valley.


For hors d 'oeuvres, I sliced some horseradish cheese with cilantro and placed it on top of the mini crackers. I tried it and though it was good, it needed something creamy or fatty. I thought of the truffle mustard so I dabbed some on it and then topped it with the cheese. Bingo! It's what it needed. The flavor of the mustard and the cheese was perfect.


The dinner was very simple. No salad was served. Just chicken cooked with mushrooms, olives, artichoke pieces in a mushroom and olive tomato sauce (Bertolli) and I added some Mirin sauce. That with Mashed Potatoes with feta cheese made the dish quite edible. Since I didn't serve a salad, I had to make some vegetables to make my 2 friends happy. I cooked some Brussels Sprouts with shallots in bacon fat, chicken stock and topped them with the crumbled bacon. Vegetables can be very exciting with a little (or a lot) fat.


Dessert was a choice of Lemon Cheesecake or Apple Crisp Pie from Polly's Pie. The lemon pie was good but could have been better had it been more tart. The apple crisp was perfect as the apples were firm and not mushy. I did forget to take a picture of that pie from my excitement.


In case you are interested in trying the wonderful wine which is not yet available in stores, feel free to email Elisabetta at: ecressi@vino-direct.com as they are in the process of creating a website. I drove to Long Beach to pick up my case.


No comments:

Post a Comment