Friday, August 12, 2016

Simple Spaghetti

I thought I should make use of my blooming basil before it all dies. I could only think of one thing; Spaghetti. I didn't feel like doing the one where I simmer the sauce for a couple of hours, especially since it's been hot outside. So, out I went and snipped a bunch of basil, crushed almost a whole head of garlic and chopped half an onion. I bought 3 giant tomatoes a few days ago that said "grown from a vine", don't they normally grow from vines? Anyway, I chopped them up and proceeded in heating some olive oil. I then added the onions and the garlic. When it started to brown, I dumped in the chopped fresh tomatoes. I sauteed it for 10 minutes then added the basil (lots of basil). I was not happy with the tomatoes. They didn't have the slightest acidity. After I doctored the sauce with salt, pepper and some Mirin sauce, it started to come alive. I then added the aldente spaghetti I cooked in my wonderful pasta boat and added a bit of the water from the boat.


I made a no-nonsense salad; just greens with spinach and some pecans and dried cranberries. Sandi has given me a small bottle of Apple White Balsamic Vinegar which I used along with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.


Just as we started to eat the pasta, I remembered that Sandi had brought one of my favorite dishes: corn cooked with tomatoes. She suggested adding it to the pasta. What a great idea. Starch on starch; carbs on carbs....yessss! It made the pasta happy and so were we!


Guilt set in so for dessert we just had 1 Alfajores (Peruvian cookie) each.

1 comment:

  1. OMG ! You are making me so hungry!!!!!! I love pasta cooked this way! Simple but so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete