Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Champagne Teaspoon When You Don't Have a Stopper

You may or may not have heard that when you are unable to find a champagne stopper for left-over champagne, you could use a spoon or teaspoon. Huh???


I tried it yesterday but first, I have to inform you that this was a "sparkling wine" Schloss Biebrich from Germany. It's our everyday pretend champagne which is quite delicious and very inexpensive. I didn't want to experiment on the "real" champagne in case it didn't work.

I opened a bottle yesterday and had a little less than half a bottle left.  I was able to find a teaspoon with a handle slim enough to fit in the mouth of the bottle. I had forgotten all about the bottle till I saw it this evening. I took the teaspoon out and poured some in a glass. I was very surprised to see bubbles! I expected it to be flat, especially since there was space between the lip of the bottle and the handle of the teaspoon.


I don't know the scientific explanation for this; maybe the metal interacting with the carbon dioxide. I am not a scientist, an engineer nor a physicist. I only know what I did and it did work. So next time you misplace your stopper, get a teaspoon and stick it in the champagne bottle. Better yet, drink the entire bottle so you won't have to worry about a stopper or a teaspoon and you'll be happier!

1 comment:

  1. I continued to experiment and the sparkling wine held its bubbles for 6 days but on the 5th and 6th day it started to taste a bit flat.

    ReplyDelete